Apparently Google has accused bullying.org of inappropriate linking on various sites. So the organization requested that I remove any links from my posts. You can still reach them by using their address independently. Ironic that Google seems to be bullying an anti-bullying site.

Although I’m not going to be posting on a weekly basis, I will post items I want to draw to your attention. I will also continue to post to my Pinterest page, “Kid’s Books About Bullying.”

Today, I’m giving a heads up that November 12th to 17th is the tenth annual National Bullying Awareness Week founded by the Canadian organization Bullying.org. The motto of the National Bullying Awareness Week is, as it has been for the past decade, “Stand Up to Bullying!”

As described by the organization, “Bullying Awareness Week (BAW) is an annual campaign to show kids they have the power to do something about bullying.

“The message of Bullying Awareness Week is consistently directed at the bystander—kids who witness bullying but may not do anything about it. Research of distinguished Canadian researchers Debra Pepler (York U.) and Wendy Craig (Queen’s U) has shown that most bullying happens, over 85% of the time, when peers are together and adults aren’t around. Their research also informs us that bullying stops within 10 seconds, most of the time when peer bystanders intervene on behalf of children who are bullied. Bullying has been shown to directly affect about 15% of those who may be victims or aggressors, so let’s work hard at changing the attitudes and actions of the other 85% who may be active supporters of bullying behaviours, or who may be part of the silent majority. We want to challenge that norm, because it is also the silence of that 855 that also gives bullies their power.

“This research lead to the annual slogan of Bullying Awareness Week: “Stand UP! to bullying” (be a friend) when you see it happening. Well that’s easy for adult to tell kids, but when you’re a kid that can be REALLY hard to do. So one of the roles of Bullying Awareness Week is to make standing up to bullying the norm and not the exception. Adult leadership is key to helping create caring individuals and communities.”

Step up and stand up. It’s a great idea. And be sure to check out the website for Bullying.org. There is a great deal of useful information there.

Advertisements

One response »

  1. homepage says:

    I do consider all of the ideas you’ve presented on your post. They are really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are too short for novices. May just you please lengthen them a little from next time? Thanks for the post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s